A survey conducted in 2010 among 751 college students and 201 instructors through the U.S. came out with the following statistics:
- 71-77% of students who are employed prefer more digital tools in the classroom.
- 86% of students say that digital tools increase their engagement.
- The use of digital tools has not had an effect distractions such as employment and personal issues.
- The use of digital tools has improved student preparation.
- 58% of instructors believe technology positively impacts student engagement
- 58% of instructors prefer to teach courses that use technology
- 71% of instructors reporting high levels of student engagement report using technology as having a positive impact on learning outcomes
I am not surprised by the statistics for students, however the statistics for instructors alarms me. Only 58% of instructors believe technology positively impacts student engagement? Why such a low percentage? Are we as instructors reluctant to use technology? Do we not see the benefits? What are your thoughts?